Rikaikyun Beta released

I reached the stage at which Rikaikyun appears to be fully usable (though I haven’t made a lot of tests), so I decided to release it to public (not that it was hidden from public before). You can grab the APK and source code from here. Note the APK will probably not work on anything less than Android 4.


You can also test the app in Chrome using the device emulation mode (you have to run Chrome with the –allow-file-access-from-files flag on). For running the app in chrome there is also a special Chrome hack option that allows emulating pressing back button by going back in browsers history.


Disappearing objects

While working on Rikaikyun I came across this strange problem, after pushing one of my revisions I tried running my app on my target device (Onyx Boox T68 Lynx) and found out it no longer works (even though I had no problems running on Chrome and another Android device). Debugging Phonegap apps on a Lynx is a pain, because Phonegap Development App cannot be used there, so you have to probe blindly in hopes of finding what could be causing the problem.

My first finding was that one of my classes suddenly became undefined. I spare you the details of what I tried or not, but the source of the problem was mismatched letter case in the name of one of the JS files. Now, I’m smart enough not to reference JS files using wrong case, but as it happen, at one point in the project, the file had a different name (only the case was different). Given that I use Windows and store my project on GIT, I’m sure you can guess what went wrong… Anyway GIT didn’t notice the fact that I change the case of the file and when I finally did a merge it renamed my file to what I named it originally.

I guess when you use the file:/// protocol in Android browser you have to pay attention to the case in file names, because requests to those files does appear to be case sensitive.