After nearly a year without a major update I managed to motivate myself to push a number of improvements to Rikaikyun. The key one is speed. I found my app to be acting sluggish with files that were 500+KB in size. A single volume of a WEB novel is usually this big and while I can split the volume into chapters, managing this many files becomes annoying. That’s why I rewrote the way the text is presented. Previously all text was dumped into the web view, but that caused those speed issues. On the other hand, I noticed that the dictionary doesn’t affect the speed of the app much, even though it takes some 70MB of memory. So I figured that keeping only the visible text in the web view should make the app work faster and it actually worked (few MB files can be still a bit too clunky to use). This was a bit tricky to implement, but I’ll spare you the details. Let me just say that I kept the scrolling mechanism to keep things simple.
Another thing I did was improve the security of loading random html files. The previous release of Rikaikyun wasn’t 100% resistant to loading external JS or inline JS. The new version however, should strip any JS from loaded document, or at least prevent it from executing.
Since many newer Android devices lack physical back button, I added on screen back button to various menus, to make the app easier to use on those devices.
As for the changes that are visible more easily, I added chapter positions to progress bar and navigation submenu. The navigation submenu allows you to jump chapters and also jump to specific position in the document.
As usual, the APK can be grabbed from here.